The Hanover Inn Burger Recipe
Pine Restaurant chef/partner Michael Schlow shares the secret sauce behind his award-winning burger.
Read Michael Schlow’s tips for grilling the perfect burger in our July/August 2016 issue.
9 oz Boyden Farm ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
1 each Tribeca brand brioche bun
2 thick slices North Country applewood smoked bacon
3 tbs mayo
1.5 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 slices Vermont Cabot cheddar cheese
1 small onion
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart canola oil for frying
- Take the ground beef and form into a burger patty until the burger is slightly bigger than the surface of the burger bun. This is done to ensure that when the burger is cooked, it will be the same size as the bun, creating a great burger-to-bun ratio.
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, add the canola oil and bring up to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, slice the onion on a mandolin to make very thin onion-ring circles. Break up the rings and toss in cornstarch and flour to make a thin coating. Fry the onion rings in the oil for 1 minute or until crispy and golden brown. Remove the onions from the oil and place on a clean paper towel to remove any excess oil. Add salt and pepper immediately.
- Chop the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to a smooth consistency. Add the mayo and mix until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Set aside.
- On a sheet pan cook the bacon at 350 degrees in the oven. Cook the bacon until crispy, then place on a towel to remove excess fat from the bacon. Reserve.
- On a medium- to high-heat grill mark off the burger for 45 seconds. Turn the burger a quarter turn and mark off for an additional 45 seconds. Flip the burger over and repeat as you did the first side of the burger. Once the burger is completely marked off on both sides place the burger in a 325-degree oven for 7-8 minutes or until medium rare. Remove the burger from the oven and top with the cheddar cheese. Place back in the oven for 20 seconds to melt the cheese. Quickly griddle the brioche burger bun for added texture and flavor. Place the burger on the brioche bun and add the chipotle mayo, bacon and crispy onion rings.